Adobe AIR has spawned a huge number of social networking apps and Twhirl is another example aimed at the Twitter community.
Twhirl actually supports not only Twitter but also Friendfeed, identi.ca and seesmic. It can connect to multiple accounts at the same time in much the same way as Adium can as an IM client. Notifications on new messages are delivered to your desktop, you can cross-post twitter updates to Pownce and Jaiku, post images to TwitPic and search tweets using Twitter Search and TweetScan.
To get started, you'll obviously need to download Adobe AIR first. Setting up your various accounts is easy as your taken through the process via a wizard. The problem is that once you're up and running, you may notice that some of the fonts aren't rendered very well in Mac OS. The reason is that while Twhirl uses system fonts installed on your computer to display tweets, the Flash-based rendering of system fonts on OSX can ruin them although the developers say that the Verdana font at 12pt works best.
Twhirl is a useful micro blogging desktop app for those that are members of Twitter, Pownce, identi.ca and seesmic.
- spellchecker (currently English only, can be deactivated in settings if you use Twhirl in other languages)
- your Twitter @replies will display even if you are mentioned in the middle of a tweetdon’t miss anyone quoting your name
- share all your updates to all your favorite social software via Ping.FM support: Twhirl now posts to Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and more
- follow any topic in near-realtime: searching for a term or a brand and then activating it as a saved search it will bring all future mentions of it into your timeline
- record a video and post it straight to Twitter, then get your Seesmic video replies and follow the video conversation
- get new Seesmic replies and videos in realtime thanks to XMPP support
- support for bit.ly url shortnener with stats and history
- support for direct messages and favorites on laconi.ca/identi.ca